Crisp, tart apples baked with a cinnamon oat crumble topping sounds like the perfect fall dessert to me! If you're planning on having friends over this week, pop this in the oven and serve it hot with evening tea or coffee, or have it as an after school treat with your kids! This recipe reminds me so much of a dish that my grandma used to make, which makes this feel really reminiscent and extra sweet for me! This is my take on Huckleberry's recipe from their cafe cookbook, named after the restaurant, Huckleberry, and it is so simple and so yummy! I prefer to sub the sugars for coconut sugar or maple syrup.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cubed, at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 1/4 cups rolled oats
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp brown sugar (I sub maple syrup!)
- 6 apples, peeled, halved, and cored
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar (I sub coconut sugar)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar (I sub maple syrup)
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cups apple juice
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- To make the crumble: Combine the butter, cinnamon, vanilla, whole-wheat flour, oats, salt, honey, and brown sugar (or maple syrup) in a bowl and blend with your fingertips until well incorporated. Refrigerate until needed.
- In a medium bowl, toss the apples with the butter, granulated sugar (or coconut sugar), brown sugar (or maple syrup), salt, and cinnamon.
- Pour the apple juice into a 9 1/2-by-13 1/2 inch baking dish, then fit the apples in snugly, cut side up. Cover with foil.
- Bake until the apples are soft, about 1 hour. Poke them to make sure they're ready!
- Remove the foil and top the apples with the crumble. Increase the oven temperature to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and bake until the topping is nice and brown, about 20 minutes longer. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Not only will this taste delicious, but baking apples always fills the house with an irresistible aroma. I think we'll be baking this up tonight as well so we can enjoy it too! Happy Wednesday, friends!