Friday Night Dinner: Meatloaf
I know what you're thinking...meatloaf? But you guys, this meatloaf is TO DIE FOR! One of my favorite things to make when we're having guests over for dinner, it is absolutely DELICIOUS! Juicy and sliced thick like a burger, paired with smashed potatoes and a big salad, everyone's bellies will be so happy. This recipe is Ina Garten's, one of my favorite gals to be inspired by in the kitchen. Friday night dinner dilemma solved!
- 1 tablespoon good olive oil
- 3 cups chopped yellow onions (3 onions)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup canned chicken stock or broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 1/2 pounds ground chuck (81 percent lean)
- 1/2 cup plain dry bread crumbs (recommended: Progresso)
- 2 extra-large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup ketchup (recommended: Heinz)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saute pan. Add the onions, thyme, salt, and pepper and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes, until the onions are translucent but not brown. Off the heat, add the Worcestershire sauce, chicken stock, and tomato paste. Allow to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground chuck, onion mixture, bread crumbs, and eggs, and mix lightly with a fork. Don't mash or the meat loaf will be dense. Shape the mixture into a rectangular loaf on a sheet pan covered with parchment paper. Spread the ketchup evenly on top. Bake for 1 to 1 1/4 hours, until the internal temperature is 160 degrees F and the meat loaf is cooked through. (A pan of hot water in the oven, under the meat loaf, will keep the top from cracking.) Serve hot.
For the smashed potatoes, I chop up the potatoes, toss them in olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roast in the oven at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Mash them up and serve hot! Serve the meatloaf and potatoes with a big tossed salad with a vinaigrette dressing and you've got a beautiful hot meal that will leave everyone at the table smiling!
Enjoy this recipe tonight, you won't be disappointed! Happy weekending!